3 new submission calls for anthologies open now!
We currently have three anthologies open for submission: ROAR Volume 8, FANG Volume 8, and an untitled Dystopian anthology. Please read the below submission calls if you’d like to participate and contact the editors directly with any questions.
Thanks for considering contributing to our books and good luck!
ROAR Volume 8
We’re looking for excellent general audience furry stories on the theme “paradise.” If you have an excellent story, but you’re not sure it fits the theme, give it a try. We can be generous in how we interpret “paradise,” but all stories have to be furry. That means an anthropomorphic animal figure should be significantly featured in your story — it could be anthropomorphic in body or only intelligence. We’ll consider any type of furry fiction from secret life of animals to fox in Starbucks — as long as it’s excellent.
Please send submissions as an attached .doc, .docx, or .rtf file in Standard Manuscript Format to ROARanthology(at)gmail.com with a subject line that reads: SUBMISSION: “Story Title” – word count. (For an example of Standard Manuscript Format, see this essay by William Shunn. For help with writing a cover letter, check out this excellent advice from Strange Horizons.)
- Length — Between 2,000 and 18,000 words. Query if longer or shorter. We tend to prefer stories between 4,000 and 12,000 words.
- Multiple submissions — Keep it reasonable; two or three stories at a time is probably okay; ten isn’t.
- Reprints — Yes, but include information about where the story was previously published. We’re more interested in stories that will be new to the majority of our audience.
- Simultaneous submissions — No. If you send a story to us, please don’t send it anywhere else until you hear back from us.
- Response time — Most final decisions won’t be made until after the deadline, but all stories should receive a response by March 1st.
- Paymet — 1/2 cent per word and one contributor’s copy on publication.*
- Deadline — February 1st, 2017
- Expected release date — July, 2017
The ROAR anthologies are a FurPlanet production. The editor for ROAR 8 is Mary E. Lowd, who also edited ROAR 6 and ROAR 7.
FANG Volume 8
We are proud to announce that FANG and ROAR are teaming up this year with a joint theme of “Paradise”. Paradise can be many things and not all of them perfect and happy, everyone is different.
Fang is an M/M erotic furry anthology. All stories must center around anthropomorphic animals and contain erotic content; it is a staple of the collection after all.
Please adhere to the following submission guidelines:
1) Story length is between 2,500 and 18,500 words. Please query if you plan to exceed this limit.
2) Multiple Submissions – Please limit yourself to no more than 2 submissions.
3) Reprints – Please query the editor directly about this topic.
4) Simultaneous Submissions – We are not accepting simultaneous submissions.
5) Please send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following formatting:
a. Subject Line:
i. SUBMISSION: “Story Title” | Word Count
b. Your message body will function as your cover letter please include the following information:
i. Your legal name
ii. Authorial name/fandom name
iii. A two (2) sentence summary of the story
iv. Any other information you want the editor to have
• Submissions Open: 1-December-2016
• Submissions Close: 1-April-2017
• Acceptance/Rejection: Between 8-April-2017 and 15-April-2017
• Release Date: Anthrocon 2017
• 1/2 cent per word and a contributor copy of the publication
FANG is a FurPlanet/Bad Dog Books Production | Ashe has served as editor for the collection for FANG 5, 6, 7, and now 8.
Title: To be determined
Due Date: May 1st, 2017
Editors: NightEyes DaySpring and Slip-Wolf
Rating: G to R
Call for submissions:
Society and culture are always in flux. These changes often provide both positive and negative consequences. Humanity has always wondered what future lies ahead of it. The exploration of these possibilities, the roads taken, and the roads not taken are at the heart of dystopian fiction. Can society adapt, or will it be stuck in stasis? Can these forces be shaped by government and powerful people for better or will they shape us? Most importantly, what happens when things go wrong? What happens when the system is corrupted?
Furry literature offers the opportunity to explore these futures and our past through a different lens. It frees us to step back and look at ourselves in a deeper way. How would an anthropomorphic society face authoritarian governments, intrusive commercialization, and ecological degradation? Would social organization by species be more important than economic concerns? This anthology is looking for furry dystopian stories that explore these questions and more.
For this anthology, I would like to see a broad set of stories covered. I expect to see a lot of darker sci-fi and near future sci-fi stories. While these are great, they aren’t the only thing I’ll be looking for. I also want to see stories about characters struggling and overcoming challenges facing them to build better lives for themselves. Unique settings and cultures will also be welcome additions to the book. While I anticipate stories talking about politics, your work should have a deeper focus than just current political concerns.
Remember, you story must be furry, but I will accept mixed human/furry societies. Because they are quite common in the furry fandom, furry persecution stories must be different and unique in order to be seriously considered. Finally, stories with elements of farce and comedy are also welcome. Your story does not need to dark and gritty to fit the theme.
Payment rate is half cent a word plus a contributor’s copy. Send submissions to email@example.com.
Can you confirm that the above cut-off dates are firm or is their any leeway for late submissions?
You’ll have to contact the editor of the book directly to work out any kind of extension, some may be amenable to it. Their emails are all listed in the submission calls.